Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Fall Again: Lost Boy










Fall Again: Lost Boy
By
Donna Figueroa

Author Bio:


About Donna Figueroa
Donna Figueroa is an actor and writer living and working in Los Angeles, CA.  She has worked on stage and on the big and small screens. Her credits include appearances on several daytime dramas, voiceovers for animation, commercials and industrial projects, audiobooks and several television commercials.
She is a producer and storyteller at The Story Salon, Los Angeles’s longest running storytelling venue where she has written, performed and developed three one person shows.
Donna considers herself an athletic shopper always in search of the ultimate bargain.
She lives in Hollywood with her husband writer/comedian Tony Figueroa, and their three neurotic cats.
Social Media Links
https://twitter.com/fallagainseries
www.fallagainseries.com/

Blurb:
What if you met the right person-at the wrong time?
In Fall Again: Beginnings, the first instalment of the Fall Again series, actors Marc and Lauren meet in New York City in the late 1980’s. While there’s an obvious attraction, circumstances dictate that their relationship remain within the realm of a platonic friendship. Over time they struggle to maintain the façade of friendship to their closest friends and to each other. Until one night…
The Fall Again Romance series continues.
Fall Again: Lost Boy
Marc: The Interim Years
1989-2010

When Marc Guiro learns Lauren Phillips is gone, his life shatters.
LOST BOY, the second novel in the FALL AGAIN series begins as Marc frantically returns to New York, only to find that the woman he loves has left New York permanently. Marc is devastated, but struggles to put his life back together, often making choices that drastically alter the course of his life.
 With support and encouragement from old and new friends, Marc unknowingly begins a personal odyssey to find himself- an arduous journey that brings Marc personal and professional fulfilment, and eventually leads him back to the woman whose memory refuses to leave him.

Excerpt
Two minutes later, when Mel opened the door to the apartment, Marc barged inside. “Where’s Lauren?” This was a frantic demand as opposed to a question.
If Marc had looked at Mel, he would have seen she was deeply troubled, but he hardly noticed her.  The only thing that mattered was seeing Lauren.
 Marc was moving toward Lauren’s closed bedroom door before Mel stopped him by firmly grabbing his arm.
“Marc, stop-I need to talk to you!”
Marc tried to shake her off. “And I need to talk to Lauren!”
But Mel only tightened her grip and angrily raised her voice. “No, I said stop!”
 Mel had never intended to sound so cruel, but at least Marc stopped and looked at her, stunned, as the manic energy that had come over him dissipated.
Mel slowly released the grip on Marc’s arm while making every effort to calm herself down. “Look, I don’t have a lot of patience right now. I’ve had a rough day!”
Marc resented her comment. The only thing preventing him from exploding was fatigue. “That’s funny, Mel, because I’ve had a rough day too! Actually I consider today a continuation of yesterday, since I didn’t sleep last night knowing that this morning I would be breaking things off with Miriam. That task was successfully accomplished before nine this morning. Needless to say she wasn’t too happy about the breakup, and neither were her parents-or my parents! I made my mother cry and my father called me a disgrace to the family.”
Mel remained still as Marc recounted the events of his day. Her day had been smooth and easy in comparison. “Marc…I’m so sorry.”
He took a deep breath and continued to recount what had to be the longest day of his life. “Since I’d already caused enough pain in Montreal, I decided to head back to New York. Three major airports, a four-hour layover in Boston and one trip through U.S. Immigration later, I’m here.”
Mel could see that Marc was under a lot of stress. She took his coat before giving him what she felt was a much needed hug. Her voice took on a soothing quality. “I just wasn’t expecting you back until tomorrow.”
 Marc was hardly in the mood for small talk. “That was the plan but I’m back now-and I need to see Lauren.” He broke free of Mel’s embrace and quickly moved to Lauren’s closed bedroom door. He called to her while opening the door. “Lauren?”
 Marc stood frozen in the doorway of Lauren’s room, confused. All of her belongings were gone. He turned back to Mel as his voice caught in his throat. “Where’s Lauren?”
Mel could see that Marc was worn down, vulnerable and exhausted as she dreaded what was coming next. “Marc…she’s gone!”
For the first time since he arrived, he heard the sadness in Mel’s voice, a sadness that now filled his own. “God, Mel! Where is she?”
As she spoke, Mel saw tears fill Marc’s eyes. “I don’t know!”
 With that Marc brushed past Mel as he headed to the front door. But instead of opening the door, he struck it hard with his fist, and then struck it even harder a second time.
Mel was frightened by Marc’s unexpected and violent display of emotion. “Marc stop. Please calm down. You’re scaring me!” 
Her emotional outburst stopped him. When he turned to face her, he was barely audible. “Mel, I’m sorry.  I’m so sorry.”
Mel watched Marc shakily sink down against her front door before she heard uncontrolled sobs. At first, all she could do was stand and watch helplessly before her instincts kicked in. She sat on the floor next to him while doing her best to console him.
 All this time she had only been worried about Marc hurting Lauren, never imagining that Lauren would hurt Marc. But as Marc put his head into her lap, she sadly realized that Marc and Lauren had hurt each other.





 What is your current project?
My current novel is Fall Again: Lost Boy, the second novel in a four-part contemporary romantic series. The series is about Marc and Lauren, two New York City actors who are perfect for each other, but meet at the wrong time.
In the first novel, Beginnings, starts on Sunset Boulevard where Marc and Lauren, in a chance meeting, see each other for the first time in more than two decades. The story then flashes back to when the couple first meet and struggle to remain “just friends.” Lost Boy chronicles Marc’s life during the years he’s separated from Lauren.
While the Fall Again series is about second chances, Lost Boy concentrates on Marc’s journey and growth as an artist, and as a man.

How did you come up with the characters in your books?
Many of the characters in the Fall Again Series have been inspired by many people I’ve encountered in my life. A few are good friends while some are people I haven’t seen in years.

For example, Gary Connelly (a good friend to both my main characters and appears in all four books), is one of my best friends who is also a wonderful actor living and working in Los Angeles. Gary was very easy for me to write because I simply visualized my friend, and put him into “Gary’s” situations.

Another character, Hannah Moore, came about when I realized Lauren, (my main female character) needed a friend and confident. That day I had coffee with a friend- a wonderful actor/comedienne/author. When I began writing that evening, Lauren and Hannah had their first scene together in Bloomingdales.

One of my favorite characters is David Diaz, (who distracts Lauren from Marc), is one of my favorite characters. He’s a combination of three wonderful men I’ve known in my life: two were good friends, and one happened to be documentary filmmaker. I visualized actor Gilles Marini (Dancing with the Stars, Brothers & Sisters, Sex and the City) as I wrote to have an image in mind. I wanted to create the perfect man. Of course, there’s no such thing. In fact as the series continues, you’ll see that David is very human, and far from perfect, which makes him even more attractive.

Some of the characters were figments of my imagination and seemed to appear when I needed them to appear. I was able to endow them with the qualities needed to progress my story.

There was one character who was inspired by a name. I met a man named “Andy Synch.” My interaction with him was very brief…but I loved his name! I just happened that the point in my manuscript where Marc meets someone who presents Marc with a new professional opportunity who I named, Andy Synch.


 Do you ever picture yourself and one of your heroines?  If so, which one?
Of course, especially in this project. I can easily see myself as Lauren-in her professional life. Like me, Lauren is a working actor. Several of Lauren’s experiences were inspired by my own experiences in the industry. For example, at one point Marc watches Lauren on a network sitcom. That scene was inspired by a role I did on a network sitcom with Robert Guillaume.
Personally, I don’t see myself as Lauren. I’m happily married.  Lauren is constantly challenged by her personal relationships.

What is the hardest part of writing your book?
Finding the time to write. I only began writing seriously in 2012. I’ve continued to work as an actor-which is a full-time job. When I’m not actually working, I’m looking for work. Finding proper balance in my life has been a challenge. What can I say? Life happens.

Do you come up with the cover or does someone else do it?
While I come up with the concept for my covers, I lack any sort of artistic or technical savvy. Luckily, my husband Tony (Figueroa) possesses both and has taken my ideas and turned them into beautiful covers for the Fall Again series.
My covers are not typical romance covers. Instead of featuring people, they feature locations.
For the first book, Beginnings, I wanted an iconic image of New York City and went with the Empire State Building on a beautiful day. To me that represented excitement, adventure, incredible optimism, and yes, romance. Marc and Lauren begin their relationship in the idealized New York City of the 1980’s.
I’m very pleased with the Lost Boy cover. It features a crumbling paved road leading into an unspecified city under a moonlit sky. The character of Marc is “lost” on many levels. The cover represents an unknown path, a very long journey, and hope. At times Marc can be described as dark, and the cover reflects this. When I first began to show this cover to people for feedback, I was surprised when several people use the word, “sexy.” I think it’s beautiful!
The next novel, California Girl, chronicles Lauren’s life during her separation from Marc. Lauren is bright and optimistic. This will be reflected in the cover which will feature an iconic Hollywood landmark. This book will be released in 2016.



Everyone uses computers, tablets, phones and no one uses handwritten form or typewriters, what do you prefer to use?
While I love the romantic idea and simplicity of writing by hand with beautiful writing instruments and crisp paper, I know that this is impractical. I’m currently writing on a sleek laptop which is fast and efficient.
Upgrading to a laptop was a big step for me. I wrote the original manuscript for Fall Again on a small netbook. I’m a complete technophobe, and this was a piece of technology I felt comfortable using initially.  A friend, who is I up to date on all sorts of technology, told me that I should not have been able to do what I did on that tiny little device. I didn’t know I couldn’t, so I did. Soon after, I saw that I needed a better, faster device. I’m still learning.

What do you do when you finish your book and turn it in to the editor?
Panic, hyperventilate, and experience bouts of insomnia.
But if you’ve chosen the right editor, you should trust them. While it’s difficult, you should be able to relax and allow the editor to make your already good story better.
For newer writers, please, have your book professionally edited. It will make a difference in the final product. And I don’t mean someone to catch spelling and grammar mistakes-though this is also necessary. I mean a person who has the unique editing skillset to release the manuscript hidden within your manuscript.
Yes, I know it’s difficult to hand your book that you’ve devoted so much time and energy to someone else who is a stranger to the world you’ve created. Writing a book can be an emotional experience. While a reader will read the book on one level, an editor will be reading a manuscript on a much deeper level. When I first handed my manuscript to my editor, I felt emotionally exposed. I soon got over this.
 I also worried that my manuscript would lose my writer’s voice. When my editor finished my manuscript, not only was my voice still there, but it was stronger and clearer. My book is also a much better and more enjoyable read.



 If you could change anything in your writing what would that be?
I wish I could resist the urge to overwrite, and trust that my readers will follow the narrative without me going overboard on details and explanations. That’s why so many of us need a professional editor.





What book if any would you want to be made into a movie?
You mean other than my own, right?
No seriously, I’ve been thinking about books I’ve read recently, and I love Maria McKenzie’s, The Governors Sons. It’s got intrigue, mystery, and above all a romance. I also love period pieces, and this novel takes place in two different time periods: the 1930’s and the 1960’s. This is an excellent read that I could easily see as a feature film. Maria writes beautiful pictures with her words.

If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?
When I began writing Fall Again, (which started as a single stand-alone novel), my goal was to tell a story that people would enjoy. So, please, enjoy! And feel free to drop me a line. I’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment